Yuki : Rise above the Deaths [ 2012 Motioncomic ] Yuki : Rise above the Deaths [ 2012 Motioncomic ]

This Scene You Are Plotting Out Looks Cool!

Maybe, you should consider turning into a fully animated scene... Maybe.

airman4 responds:

You mean continuing it afterwards ?

Ornn - Legendary Kill Ornn - Legendary Kill

This a fun and mostly cute short, but I find adding a graphic hentai style clip at the end to be a tad distasteful, only because this short is rated "T".

I would either suggest changing the rating to "A" or just removing the clip to keep the whole thing T rated.

Nothing against hentai. It's fine, and if you want to keep the "T" rating, you can resubmit the clip that you made as a different movie, it's animated well enough to pass anyway. I'm just thinking of younger audiences on this site, even as futile as that is considering the adult nature of this site in the first place.

Adventures with Robotnik (and Kairi) - Green Soup and Seeds Adventures with Robotnik (and Kairi) - Green Soup and Seeds

The Misadventures of Robotnik and Kairi

First the positives, this short looks sleek and high quality, like on par with something that Channel Frederator would accept. The animation is top notch, the art utilizes some decent light and shadows and the artist know to user different colors when in certain areas hence the blueish tone when the two characters are the factory.

The sound is on par too, the characters can only grunt, but they at least sound like themselves.

Now, I enjoy AOSTH edition Robotnik, and I kinda like Kairi since she's like the Mary Jane Watson of the Kingdom Hearts series, but I don't see the full extent of this cross over. Nor do I know why they are together other than the possible theory that author "just likes them."

This makes the series very odd to say the least, but I can suggest that the author use original characters, slightly based off of these two, like just a rotund bumbling over the top english man, and a young, clever dexterous girl.

ExDeathZERO responds:

That's quite a good idea actually. If there is ever a continuation of this, I could end up replacing them with OCs, to make it an original series.

Thing is, these animations do not come cheap, so I don't think I could afford to commission any more shorts, without resorting to some sort of crowd funding. :(

Sole Gunner Sole Gunner

The Empire is Attacking the Natives! Sav-- Oh Wait, Wrong Game.

Gunstar Heroes is my all time favorite action games for my favorite retro console suited for stylized action games of its caliber, the Sega Genesis, from my all time favorite company, Treasure.

We have not seen a game quite like Gunstar Heroes since Gunstar Super Heroes for GBA, and it's unfortunate that we don't see many games today, especially in faux retro scene, taking a cue from Gunstar Heroes, making the game's sense of explosive excitement somewhat of a piece of lost nostalgia for me. Something of a bygone era.

This game here is great tribute to that bygone era. The games looks, sounds, and even feels like a great Sega Genesis action game.

The music is pure hardcore awesomesauce, it sounds almost like NON composed it. From serious tone the selection screen invokes, as you try to pick out which level to tackle first, to the "Down to Business" theme of level one that makes you feel like a bad ass, to the scaling melody of the second stage as you ascend a silo, or the fast paced theme as you run across the train in level 3, the music just feels right and has that "ummph" of dynamic energy to it that makes me come back to the game.

As for the art, I can not believe it's not Han. I always dug Han designs because they felt reminiscent of Gainax designs.

The gamplay is tried and true sidescroller fare. Though to pinpoint something peculiar, the controls feel more akin to Megaman than Gunstar, considering that in Gunstar, you could jump up and do a kick or bellyflop of some sort as an alternative means of taking out enemies. In this game, you just jump and shoot, but you can shoot in four directions. The weapon system in Gunstar was awesome because you could combine 2 weapon powerups to form unique weapons based on those two specific elements. My favorite was the laser sword because it was freaking powerful despite its limited range and it could melt bullets. However, in this game, the weapon powerups are more akin to Contra's style in that you can only pick up one weapon at a time. But hey, at least the laser gun in this game is far far far more better than the laser in Contra. Though personally, my favorite gun in this game is the flamethrower, if not the rocket launcher(I am a sucker for high damage guns). However, the game does call for different guns at times, seeing that some guns do better in some areas than others. Like the flamethrower is powerful as hell, but it can't shoot through walls like the laser can, and you can't move while you are using it like you can with all other guns. So, there is balance, and I have always found balance to be an important part in designing games. The health is just like Gunstar, because in that game, and in this game, you don't die in one hit, you can take multiple hits, but your health is listed as a percentage. This aspect is what I think gives Gunstar an advantage over Contra, because I always find one hit kill stuff incredibly frustrating!(Contra still kicks ass because it has great level design to make up for its one hit kill mechanics, it also does not restart you at the begining of the level if you lose a life, which is a plus.)

Then there's some great twists in this game, like the vertical space shooter genre switch at the start of level 4 and...

===SPOILERS===
The 8 bit sub levels, one of which pays direct homage to level 1 of Contra with its Island landscape, exploding bridges, suicidal enemies and gun turrets, and another which pays direct homage to Megaman's Cutman level. The graphics and music make a total shift, utilizing NES colors and Sounds.
===SPOILERS===

Bottom line.

You earned yourself a 5 star. Now the thing is I don't normally give out these babies except for entries that I feel break the mold, that truly stand out, and of course in addition to something that I absolutely love. In general a 5 score entry is something you wouldn't believe, considering the quality, was on Newgrounds for free. In the case of games it is score reserved for games that excel with exceptional coding, graphics and level design. Any flaws, if there are any, are miniscule because this Flash game IS the kind of game I like to play on the Sega Genesis, for free on Newgrounds.

If you have any behind the scenes footage, like stuff about how you made the game, composed the music, and coded it, I would like to see that, because I would like to make games like this one, but with a twist.

I hope you make more 16 bit style games in the future.

Good luck on your next entry.

Test Game 2014 Test Game 2014

Okay.

Animation on the protagonist, while not the smoothest, is pretty decent. It's workable. I like the running animation and the way her coat tails flap around. The character moves with a certain grace.

Art style seems to be a bit on the "animu-ish" side of things, what with that nose less style, but that's okay, because she looks cute and I think that's what you are going for. I like her outfit.

I think she does need additional frames however, most especially some frames for her walking diagonally upwards and downwards

The enemies would be decent beginning tier enemies along with rats and slimes and the like.

The combat seems basic and workable. Right now,
I can only use a 3 hit combo, but sometimes that's enough for a decent action rpg, if, the level design is good enough, and it all goes at a decent pace, or if at least have some partners with you so the game doesn't feel too repetitive, be it AI or human players.

I don't know what you have in mind for the rest for your project for I can not level up at the moment or explore beyond this test area. Though I do hope you give us some awesome big great looking enemies, and some gorgeous backgrounds. A killer soundtrack wouldn't hurt either, see if can find some hidden gems in the audio portal.

Some other miscellaneous ideas:
Maybe work in a block and/or dodge manuever. Maybe some spells and weaponcrafting if it's not too hard.

I like it when you can actually the armor on the sprites when you equip characters with items, as if they were putting on new clothes.

I like it when characters either look more rugged, or tougher, or confident when they level up(it's like literal character development).

I like some story. Whether it just be solely character driven, or, even better, if it helps provoke a thought of some kind.

I score 1 1/2 stars because I sympathize with you and kind of like what you're doing, but I also must realize that the portal is for finalized works. However, I do hope you finish your project with flying colors. I'll be cheering for you. Good luck on your next entry.

Famous Paintings Parodies Famous Paintings Parodies

At 22 Right

I scored "Universal Art Lover", and that's without knowing about the 3d glasses for the first 15!

Star Trek-TNG Theme Star Trek-TNG Theme

Star Trek The Next Generation for MS-Dos.

By Apogee Software.

Gunstar Supermix Gunstar Supermix

The Empire Is Attacking The Natives! Save Them!

Gunstar Heroes is my favorite action game. The greatest action game of all time could only be developed by the mighty fine folks over at Treasure. Treasure, the little developer that could, and can, and still thrives today despite being a small number of thirty. Treasure, only they could manage a McDonald's liscenced game just SHY of old school gaming nirvana.

Anyway, I have to say the music in Gunstar Heroes is quite underrated. Seriously, nobody today gives Norio Hanzawa (NON) the credit he deserves! This track(area1) alone is my favorite track out of the whole collection. Nothing gets me more pumped or in the mood to kick arse than this track.

Now considering this remix, it is not as good as the original... But it's pretty creative with its usage of different chip tunes and deconstructive effort non-the-less. I prefer how the original begins with "Da-Donnn!" like bang, and then, how it builds up to the main melody with its intro. This one removes the "Da-Donnn!" bang and gives the build up notes a little more of an ambience effect. Overall, this remix is okay, and I definitely give you thumbs for recognizing genius when you hear it.

DragonCoin responds:

Thats one of the best reviews I've seen in a long time just to say =D.
I agree totally, with what your saying. I mean it'll take alot to beat the original. I just purely did this for fun because it's my hobby.

I might make a more upbeat one with the "dun dun" and upload that in the future.

Thanks for your review =D

Underdog v2 Underdog v2

Now I'll Definately Bet On This Pooch...

This version is definately amped up compared to the original.

The intro was masterfully done by the way. It was expanded upon with much grace and respect to the source material. The intro in the previous version was sped through a little without much emphasis nor recognition and it only lasted 9 secs. This version lasts 17 secs and adds in a little more ambiance for the ominous chanting. In the actual opening, the chanting sounds houndish and silly and leads up to an accordion lead-in. This one on the other hand has a Burtonish/Danny Elfman-esque orchestra touch to it. This makes it seem more like a darker and sophisticated retake on the poorly animated yet charmingly cartoonish funny animal superhero.

I'm sad to say that I rather miss the delicate pizzicato that used to serve as a gentle lead in to "Speed of Lightning..." That's okay though, because the xylophone does perfectly well in its absence.

Now the part we've been waiting for, that part which we discussed in the last review. "Speed of Lightning..." has MOAR power now! Although I still sort of liked the gentle accoustic of the previous installment, the piano chords do a better job of conveying a powerful presence! (Do I hear a "thunder" sound effect? I do! Cool. Just like in the original opening!) This sound and melody paints a vivid picture of Underdog rising from the ashes, and basking in crowning moment of awesome before pummeling his would be destroyers in a wonderful turnabout fashion.

In short, you did a great job. This piece still has more potential to be even greater. It can be considered arguably better than the actual theme song. At least as an alternative revisionment. It is definately 999,000,000 X better than Disney's revisionment.

In fact, I might use this piece someday in a future project if I ever get to it. Because I feel inspired to do a masterful revisionist portrayal of Underdog in a similar fashion to how people revision Batman. You know! With better animation and everything! In fact, I might do this for other poorly animated yet redeemably charming cartoon heroes. Like Birdman, and Space Ghost, and most definately the Herculoids!
Hey, if it worked for Johnny Quest and Secret Squirrel...

Compaq272 responds:

I have clearly said in the author's comments that they are 2 thumb pianos.

Alternate pickachu sketch Alternate pickachu sketch

If Naughty Dog came up with Pokemon and not Game Freak.

THE DEVIL THE DEVIL

This seems to be based on Baphomet, the alleged God that the Knight Templars were accused of worshiping before their wrongful trial, as depicted by the 19th century French occultist Éliphas Lévi.

It could be suggested that the word "Baphomet" was a bastardization of "Mohammed," since the Knight Templars were actually allies with the early Hashahshins, despite what the Assassin's creed games tell me.

FaLk responds:

The devil From the Paul foster case deck was actually originally based off Eliphas Levi's Baphomet, and I did the same. . Because baphomet is such an awesome image! Also baphomet and the devil share some similarities in symbolism. However there are a few differences: instead of angel wings, Paul foster case's devil has vampire bat wings. Instead of a flame facing upwards, the devil is holding the flame towards the ground (causing it to burn faster and shorter). Instead of holding his hand up with 3 fingers revealed and 2 concealed (a common symbol of divinity), the devil shows his whole hand. Instead of the pentagram facing up, the pentagram is facing down in the devil card. I see the devil as being baphomet's antithesis.

Duck Duck

When the Fuher says, we is the master race.
We heil! Heil!
Right in the Fuher's face!
Not to love der Fuher is a big disgrace!
So we heil! Heil!
Right in der Fuher's face!

When Herr Goebbels says we own the world and space
We heil heil right in Herr Goebbels' face
When Herr Goring says they'll never bomb this place
We heil heil right in Herr Goring's face
Are we not he supermen Aryan pure supermen
Ja we are the supermen (super duper supermen)
Is this Nazi land so good
Would you leave it if you could
Ja this Nazi land is good
We would leave it if we could
We bring the world new order
Heil Hitler's world to order
Everyone of foreign race
Will love der fuehrer's face
When we bring to the world disorder