Sole Gunner Sole Gunner

The Empire is Attacking the Natives! Sav-- Oh Wait, Wrong Game.

Gunstar Heroes is my all time favorite action games for my favorite retro console suited for stylized action games of its caliber, the Sega Genesis, from my all time favorite company, Treasure.

We have not seen a game quite like Gunstar Heroes since Gunstar Super Heroes for GBA, and it's unfortunate that we don't see many games today, especially in faux retro scene, taking a cue from Gunstar Heroes, making the game's sense of explosive excitement somewhat of a piece of lost nostalgia for me. Something of a bygone era.

This game here is great tribute to that bygone era. The games looks, sounds, and even feels like a great Sega Genesis action game.

The music is pure hardcore awesomesauce, it sounds almost like NON composed it. From serious tone the selection screen invokes, as you try to pick out which level to tackle first, to the "Down to Business" theme of level one that makes you feel like a bad ass, to the scaling melody of the second stage as you ascend a silo, or the fast paced theme as you run across the train in level 3, the music just feels right and has that "ummph" of dynamic energy to it that makes me come back to the game.

As for the art, I can not believe it's not Han. I always dug Han designs because they felt reminiscent of Gainax designs.

The gamplay is tried and true sidescroller fare. Though to pinpoint something peculiar, the controls feel more akin to Megaman than Gunstar, considering that in Gunstar, you could jump up and do a kick or bellyflop of some sort as an alternative means of taking out enemies. In this game, you just jump and shoot, but you can shoot in four directions. The weapon system in Gunstar was awesome because you could combine 2 weapon powerups to form unique weapons based on those two specific elements. My favorite was the laser sword because it was freaking powerful despite its limited range and it could melt bullets. However, in this game, the weapon powerups are more akin to Contra's style in that you can only pick up one weapon at a time. But hey, at least the laser gun in this game is far far far more better than the laser in Contra. Though personally, my favorite gun in this game is the flamethrower, if not the rocket launcher(I am a sucker for high damage guns). However, the game does call for different guns at times, seeing that some guns do better in some areas than others. Like the flamethrower is powerful as hell, but it can't shoot through walls like the laser can, and you can't move while you are using it like you can with all other guns. So, there is balance, and I have always found balance to be an important part in designing games. The health is just like Gunstar, because in that game, and in this game, you don't die in one hit, you can take multiple hits, but your health is listed as a percentage. This aspect is what I think gives Gunstar an advantage over Contra, because I always find one hit kill stuff incredibly frustrating!(Contra still kicks ass because it has great level design to make up for its one hit kill mechanics, it also does not restart you at the begining of the level if you lose a life, which is a plus.)

Then there's some great twists in this game, like the vertical space shooter genre switch at the start of level 4 and...

===SPOILERS===
The 8 bit sub levels, one of which pays direct homage to level 1 of Contra with its Island landscape, exploding bridges, suicidal enemies and gun turrets, and another which pays direct homage to Megaman's Cutman level. The graphics and music make a total shift, utilizing NES colors and Sounds.
===SPOILERS===

Bottom line.

You earned yourself a 5 star. Now the thing is I don't normally give out these babies except for entries that I feel break the mold, that truly stand out, and of course in addition to something that I absolutely love. In general a 5 score entry is something you wouldn't believe, considering the quality, was on Newgrounds for free. In the case of games it is score reserved for games that excel with exceptional coding, graphics and level design. Any flaws, if there are any, are miniscule because this Flash game IS the kind of game I like to play on the Sega Genesis, for free on Newgrounds.

If you have any behind the scenes footage, like stuff about how you made the game, composed the music, and coded it, I would like to see that, because I would like to make games like this one, but with a twist.

I hope you make more 16 bit style games in the future.

Test Game 2014 Test Game 2014

Okay.

Animation on the protagonist, while not the smoothest, is pretty decent. It's workable. I like the running animation and the way her coat tails flap around. The character moves with a certain grace.

Art style seems to be a bit on the "animu-ish" side of things, what with that nose less style, but that's okay, because she looks cute and I think that's what you are going for. I like her outfit.

I think she does need additional frames however, most especially some frames for her walking diagonally upwards and downwards

The enemies would be decent beginning tier enemies along with rats and slimes and the like.

The combat seems basic and workable. Right now,
I can only use a 3 hit combo, but sometimes that's enough for a decent action rpg, if, the level design is good enough, and it all goes at a decent pace, or if at least have some partners with you so the game doesn't feel too repetitive, be it AI or human players.

I don't know what you have in mind for the rest for your project for I can not level up at the moment or explore beyond this test area. Though I do hope you give us some awesome big great looking enemies, and some gorgeous backgrounds. A killer soundtrack wouldn't hurt either, see if can find some hidden gems in the audio portal.

Some other miscellaneous ideas:
Maybe work in a block and/or dodge manuever. Maybe some spells and weaponcrafting if it's not too hard.

I like it when you can actually the armor on the sprites when you equip characters with items, as if they were putting on new clothes.

I like it when characters either look more rugged, or tougher, or confident when they level up(it's like literal character development).

I like some story. Whether it just be solely character driven, or, even better, if it helps provoke a thought of some kind.

I score 1 1/2 stars because I sympathize with you and kind of like what you're doing, but I also must realize that the portal is for finalized works. However, I do hope you finish your project with flying colors. I'll be cheering for you. Good luck on your next entry.

Famous Paintings Parodies Famous Paintings Parodies

At 22 Right

I scored "Universal Art Lover", and that's without knowing about the 3d glasses for the first 15!

Cult Classic Cult Classic

Awesome Picture...

It brings back so many memories to so many different people.

I'm surprised somebody actually remembered Super Dave of all things.

It's just seeing all these childhood icons in one picture, but also seeing them interact with one another in interesting ways. Stuff and little details like Slimer high fiving Booberry, Aeon Flux zapping Rainbow Brite, Bucky O'Hare meeting Usagi Yojimbo, Carmen Sandiego making out with Waldo, or Steve Urkel punching Screech in the face really makes my day.

Segway of the Dead Segway of the Dead

Ahahahahahaha...

April Fools everybody. You can't SP in this game. You will always die on level one. You can't actually upgrade any attributes. Segways are lame and useless and a waste of money.

ir/rational Redux ir/rational Redux

If Michael Atkinson Is A Douche Who Wants To Ban Violent Games, Then He Must Be The Australian Version Of Jack Thompson.

By the way, why is it that almost of these philosophy-puzzle centric games portray the protagonist in a cube or some kind of white space?

take care of the trees take care of the trees

So...

What was it that made my character's brother go all psychopathic and evil? *Gasp!* Could it have been the medicine from the suspicious caravan? Then again, I did not see caravan within my character's brother's path. Maybe he was a psychopath all along who just wanted to hears the screams of a entire town in unison because he finds them melodious. Also, did my character and his brother ever have a showdown? And what exactly did the trees have to do with this strange tale?

Other than that, you've good pixel art. That music during rampage in the climax kinda unnerved me.
However, you should work on a walking animation for the main character if you know what I mean.

Hungry Gamers Hungry Gamers

So...

How do I get the three achievements in the middle? You know, the ones between "To the dogs" and "Grabbag"? Is is it possible to get them?

Capture Kony Capture Kony

And Now For a Public Service Announcement.

You might want to google "Wil Wheaton on KONY 2012".

There are even links to much better charity organizations he puts on his tumblr post. Invisible Children only donates about 37% percent of their earnings to help the impoverished in Uganda. In addition, Invisible Children is on the side of Sudan's Peoples Liberation Army, which has been responsible for just as many rape and violence as their enemies, The Lord's Resistance Army, Joseph Kony and all. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Keeping Joseph Kony's war crimes in the public light though, is okay with me. I don't think any atrocities should ever be forgotten and I do hope little Jacob does find peace someday.

Finally onto the game. This game is pretty simple and bland. It looks like it was done in about 2 minutes to say the least but at least it's playable, therefore, the actionscript is competent.

Space to SweetieScoot Space to SweetieScoot

Don't Forget to Hold Shift While Pressing Space!

Anyway good job on Sweetie Bell's leg animation. The 8 bit music is a nice touch too.